A garage door has two types of springs; torsion springs and extension springs. The primary function of both types is to balance the garage door and make its operations smoother. When any of your garage door springs is damaged, you may have trouble operating your garage door. If you’re familiar with all the ins and outs of carrying out garage door repair and replacement jobs, there’s no harm in doing it on your own. But if this is your first time doing so, it’s best that you stay away from it and hire a professional garage door company like Wells Local Garage Door Repair Keizer to deal with such problems. Always look for a garage door company that specializes in garage door spring replacement Oregon City.
The following points are sure to help you replace/fix your broken garage door springs:
- Disconnect the garage door opener and lock the door to the track
- Undo the set screws when holding each spring using a winding bar
- Unwind all the springs with the help of two winding bars
- Remove nuts and bolts, and slide each spring to the end bracket
- Remove the cables, springs, & cables drums, and secure the tube
- Measure the spring length when it’s relaxed
- Determine the size of coils and the inner diameter of the spring
- Order replacement springs
- Look for other worn-out parts
The installation process is the reverse of the removal process. Although the garage door repair isn’t’ that much difficult, we suggest that you hire a professional garage door company if you don’t have any knowledge about how it’s done. If you live in California, Wells Local Garage Door Repair is the best option you should consider, as they are both affordable and reliable.
Have something to add to this story? Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.