Animals and birds have been an integral part of our culture since time immemorial. In India, they have always played a significant role in our daily lives. We worship them, we celebrate their festivals and we even make use of their products. Animals and birds have been depicted in many forms in Indian handicraft. From sculptures to paintings, from carvings to pottery, from jewelry to textiles, from architecture to music, everything has been decorated with the help of these creatures. Find out why birds and animals have been a fixture, and always so common in Indian handicrafts.
History of Animals and Birds in Indian Handicraft
The earliest known depiction of animals in Indian handicrafts dates back to around 5000 BC. There are many examples of cave paintings depicting various animals. These paintings are found in different parts of India, including Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and Uttarakhand.
Many artistic objects and specimens containing birds and animals have also been found in Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Tripura, Manipur, Mizoram, Meghalaya and Nagaland.
Why are Animals and Birds Used in Indian Art?
There are several reasons behind the popularity of animals in Indian handicraft.
- One of the reasons is that animals are beautiful and graceful. Another reason is that they are symbolic of nature. They represent the elements of earth, water, fire and air. They symbolize the four seasons and the four directions. They also symbolize good luck and prosperity.
- In ancient times, people believed that animals were endowed with certain powers and had some special significance. They were considered sacred beings and were treated with great respect. People would not harm any animal or bird, nor would they eat them. They would only kill them if they were necessary for survival. Even today, animals and birds play a major role in our lives. Many of us still believe that they possess supernatural powers.
- A third reason is that animals are useful. They provide food, clothing, shelter, transportation, medicine, entertainment, etc.
- A fourth reason is that animals are helpful in hunting. Hunting was a popular pastime among the royalty and nobility. They would hunt wild animals for sport and for food.
- A fifth reason is that animals are decorative. They could be painted, carved, sculpted, embroidered, woven, printed, stamped, molded, cast, etc.
- Another reason is that animals are educational. Just by observing them, we can learn so much. They teach us about the world around us and show us how things work. They teach us about nature, physics, chemistry, biology, science, history, religion, ethics, morality, politics, economics, philosophy, psychology etc. Animals appear in stories quite frequently. Since we were young children, we have heard fables about animals and birds in Panchatantra stories. In the stories, faunas were employed to represent human traits. This portrayal of animals and birds shows how human civilization works since the stories are based on teaching moral ideals.
- One more reason, and perhaps the most important one is that they are associated with gods and goddesses. Gods and goddesses are often portrayed riding upon animals. A God riding an elephant is considered to be invincible. Similarly, a goddess riding a lion was considered to be powerful. In Indian mythology, including the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, birds and animals were portrayed as important characters.
Why Should You Buy Animals and Bird Art Objects?
It is extremely popular to use an animal display item as house décor. The presence of animal sculptures in your home may be interpreted favorably. Buy figurines of animals and birds from the internet to make your apartment stand out from the crowd. You can get a wide selection of designed figurines and centerpieces online.
These showpieces come in a range of shapes and sizes and are all individually created by skilled craftspeople. You will not be able to help buying those exquisite pieces of handcrafted artwork. Every piece of bird and animal art holds messages, if you look closely.
You can enhance your accommodation by purchasing lovely love-birds decor for the living room or bedroom. Anyone who comes to your house will be amazed by the beauty of your showpieces.
Clyde is a highly creative and dedicated person with an entrepreneurial spirit. He is always looking for ways to help people, whether it be contributing to their success or just making them laugh. His commitment is demonstrated through the dedication he has put into all of his work so far, which includes writing business blogs for various companies as well as running his own blog on Medium. He loves reading books about how other people became successful entrepreneurs like himself; he finds inspiration from these stories and hopes to make a positive impact on others’ lives too!